Wednesday, March 14, 2012

"Our court shall be a little Academe"-Loving Love's Labour's Lost!

Wow.

I'm loving this play! I love the wit, the vivacity, and the plucky little comments woven throughout the story!

I decided after I read the text, to watch the production done at the Globe that Dr. Burton showed a clip of. And can I just say that it is awesome?! Seriously I loved having a production to observe after reading. It really made the text come alive for me. And it reinforces the idea that plays are really an EXPERIENCE not just a text. Plays are meant to be produced!

And boy did the Globe do an excellent job of producing Shakespeare's play!

My favorite characters are probably Berowne or Biron (or however else it is known) because he's so amusing to listen to/read; Costard simply because he's hilarious; and Adriano De Armado because of his obsession with love.

I loved reading the lines of these three in particular because of the language each uses (Berowne with his rhyming and wit, Costard with his simplistic absurdity, and Adriano with his lovey-dovey rationalizations)

So, when I started watching the production done by the Globe I was happily aware of how fabulous the actors portrayed these specific characters. They were IMMENSELY entertaining!

I'm not completely done watching the play but three of my favorite scenes so far are:


Talkative Prisoner

This is the moment where Costard cannot STOP talking about how he WILL stop talking
Witty Barbs

This is the scene where Biron and Rosaline spar and throw some witty little barbs back and forth.

Armado In Love

Ah Armado is in love! What more can I say? :)
* As a side note to anyone who doesn't have access to these links (because they are provided through BYU) There may be a way to e-mail links to you! Let me know if you need some help! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment