Friday, January 20, 2012

"Les langues des hommes sont pleines de tromperies"



KATHARINE
O bon Dieu! les langues des hommes sont pleines de
tromperies.
KING HENRY V
What says she, fair one? that the tongues of men
are full of deceits?
ALICE
Oui, dat de tongues of de mans is be full of
deceits: dat is de princess.

I love that line from Katherine! I cracked up when I read it. And it also made me think about Shakespeare's possible intentions when he wrote this little interaction between Katherine and Henry. Several of you awesome bloggers have been delving into the possibilities of what the langauge of Shakespeare means, so if you notice further in the conversation it states this:

KATHARINE
Is it possible dat I sould love de enemy of France?
KING HENRY V
No; it is not possible you should love the enemy of
France, Kate: but, in loving me, you should love
the friend of France; for I love France so well that
I will not part with a village of it; I will have it
all mine: and, Kate, when France is mine and I am
yours, then yours is France and you are mine.
Now how can Hal claim that he is the friend to France when he is waging a war against it? Hmm...
Interesting isn't it...What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I think Henry has intentions to do well to France (after it's his, of course). In his mind, the land belongs to him. He scorns the current leadership of France, so I'm sure he thinks he can do better.

    ReplyDelete