Thursday, January 5, 2012

"In Time we Hate That Which We Often Fear"

     Shakespeare can be intimidating! But, just because it is intimidating, we should not fear it. The difficulty we may have in understanding something should clue us into the importance of Shakespeare. Nothing easy is ever as memorable as the moment when the sonnets start to click or when we feel a connection to characters such as Hamlet or Othello and we find ourselves wrapped up in the themes and settings and plots.
     I love Shakespeare. I don't understand it completely but I love it. There are so many people I know that despise the difficulty of texts or claim that there is nothing of significance in his plays or poetry. I believe their dislike stems, partially, from the mere fact that they are afraid. Tackling Shakespeare is no easy task! But, it can be done. Don't fear the task! Rather, tackle it head on and embrace the learning process.
     The goal of this blog is to share my attempts to understand Shakespeare, his life, his works, and how he has influenced people through the ages. Why hasn't his popularity subsided? Those are all difficult questions that I hope to gain answers to as I read, research, observe and listen to the thoughts of others.

Let the challenge begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment